Sunday, July 06, 2008

LORD PLEASE CAN IT RAIN?????

I am hot and sticky and sick of the heat already and it is only July!!!!

114.1 °F / 45.6 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 49 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/hfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 0.00 in / 0.0 hPa(Falling)
Heat Index: 111 °F / 44 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers


ok here is the deal with my treatment for my Graves I will be getting it on the 21st of this month.. ANYONE HAVE A HOUSE THEN NEED TO LEAVE EMPTY FOR A FEW DAYS WELL OK 5 DAYS? I will share with you what I have read.................

AFTER RECEIVING RADIOIACTIVE IODINE

Your Home Stay or Hospital/Home Stay

After receiving RAI for a scan, you will go home immediately. After your RAI treatment dose, you may be sent home immediately, or you may stay in the hospital for one or more days. The size of the treatment dose that involves a hospital stay varies from one jurisdiction to another, and sometimes from one hospital to another in the same jurisdiction. Currently, patients go home immediately after larger doses of RAI than in the past. Your home circumstances, such as whether there is an infant at home, may affect the decision about going home or staying in the hospital for a day or more after your treatment dose.

Below are samples of guidelines from informational materials. Please note that your physician and hospital may have different procedures and guidelines. Discuss your questions and concerns with your doctor.

Information If You Go Home Immediately After Receiving RAI

As your doctor will have explained to you, you will be receiving radioactive iodine as your treatment. Radioactive iodine decreases the function of thyroid cells and inhibits their ability to grow. It is given to you in liquid or pill form and goes directly to the thyroid gland where it is absorbed by the thyroid tissue. Most of the radioactive iodine will be received by your thyroid gland. Any radioactive iodine not collected by the thyroid gland will be eliminated during the first few days through urine, feces, saliva and sweat. The following steps listed below will help assure that the excreted radiation from your body does not contaminate the environment or cause harm to other people.

For information about possible side effects of radioactive iodine, see the information below in the section about the hospital stay.

What do I do at home?
If you go home immediately after a treatment dose, use the following guidelines regarding distance, time, and hygiene.

Minimize contact (less than 3 feet or 0.6 meter for more than 1 hour each day) with everyone for the first five days, and with small children or pregnant women for eight days.
Do not sit next to someone in an automobile for more than one hour.
Sleep in a separate room and use separate bath linen and launder these and underclothing separately for one week.
Wash your hands with soap and plenty of water every time you use the toilet.
Rinse the sink and tub thoroughly after using them.
Use separate eating utensils or disposable eating utensils. Wash eating utensils separately for one week. Do not prepare food for others.
Flush toilet 2-3 times after use for two weeks after discharge.
Males should sit when urinating to avoid splashing for one week.
Discuss with your doctor how long you should wait before starting a pregnancy after your treatment (usually at least two months for males and six months for females).
If you are breastfeeding, it should be discontinued, but can be resumed for subsequent childbirths
Is there Anything Else I should Know?

Please flush the toilet two or three times after elimination and wash your hands. Remember the urine is one of the key systems that excretes the excess radiation.

"Just for the Men". Please sit to void (pass water) to prevent any splashing contamination of the surrounding area.

Showering two or three times a day and washing your hair will help remove the excreted radiation through perspiration. Extra towels will be provided for you. When getting out of the shower, make sure you have a towel on the floor to step on.

Sucking on sour candies for the first 24-48 hours after radioiodine therapy is recommended by some thyroid cancer specialists to help reduce excessive radiation to your salivary glands. They recommend taking candies every 15 minutes during the day, as well as several times at night.
Radioactive Iodine Treatment - Side Effects

Sore Throat/Hoarseness: Salivary glands affected by RAI treatment may become swollen. See the section above for more information on this topic.
Vomiting: Notify the nurse immediately; do not attempt to clean up vomit; please leave clean-up to the radiation safety office/nuclear medicine department.
Headache: Tylenol plain available for headache
Constipation/Diarrhea: May be either constipaiion or diarrhea. Must have a bowel movement once a day while in hospital. If no bowel movement then ask the nurse for laxative ordered (should ask for laxative if no bowel movement for that day)
Fatigue: Resting is good. If necessary, sedation is available at bedtime if there is trouble falling asleep.
Signs to Watch for in Case of Drug Reaction (Allergy)

Shortness of breath
Chills/Rigors
Fever
Rash/Hives





I truly am thinking that I should go off someplace alone for these 5 days. I will not work and I have already let Elizabeth know, I will inform my boss tomorrow when I go in to pick up my check. I am not sure if I am scared or just a bit,,,,,,,,,,, unsure is there a difference? I really would like to go off alone for these days really,,wonder how much it would cost to get a room for 5 days??? UNTILL THEN I will try and keep my mind busy,,, So it really isn't' all that bad huh,,,,


So I am off to work agian at 6:00 this split shift kind of slows a person down really.. can't really start anyting too involved cause you gotta stop. ok I hope your weekend is going well,,,,, see ya I am gunna go tke a nap bye

3 comments:

Mom Knows Everything said...

Oh wow! Man it is hot there!!!! Try to stay cool.

Rhonda said...

I thought Texas was hot....not so much so far. Here in central Texas it's on reached 96 degrees so far. I have to water my garden each day but that's ok. Stay cool if possible but you already know that.

1 plus twins said...

i am so so sick of the humid heat too!! it sucks.

ok listen what can i do to help you. call me or text me tomorrow!!

my parents moved into their new house this weekend so the other is empty if you want i can see if you can stay there!!! let me know.

love ya, i want to help!!